Friday, May 7, 2010

2010 Chicago International Quilt Festival--More Pictures

More from the Chicago International Quilt Festival (2010)…


“Derevnya/Russian Fairytale Village 3,” was made by Natalya Aikens from Pleasantville, New York. Techniques: Layered, torn, hand-painted, free-hand machine embroidered, and hand stitched. She says, “My art is an exploration of my heritage. Russian fairytales, folklore and decorative traditions infuse my work with their fanciful spirit. The imagery of a traditional Russian village inspired this work.” This quilt was light and airy. The materials used made me want to get closer to the work to check it out. Much of the material was virtually transparent creating a ethereal effect.


“Magic Box,” by Diane Nunez from Southfield, Michigan, made this quilt using strip piecing and assemblage. She says, “Look at the quilt from different vantage points—top, bottom, right, and left. Every perspective gives a distinct illusion. The colors blend differently and the separate panels form the illusion of a two-dimensional quilt.” This quilt was three-dimensional. The “pieces” sat above the background by about two to three inches. This was a very interesting quilt that was VERY hard to photograph. The look of the piece totally changed depending on the viewer's vantage point.

I took this picture of “Magic Box” from the side of the piece. You can see how different it looks from various angles.

“Units 9,” was made by Benedicte Caneill from Larchmont, New York. Techniques: Monoprinted, pieced, machine quilted. Design Source: Rail Fence block. She says, “The Units series explores the construction of a whole piece using elemental geometric units which, when joined, create an abstract cityscape composition exploring line, color, and movement. As a resident of New York City for many years I was influenced by the many lines and windows that define the cityscape. Those lines, sometimes continuous often interrupted, created a fascinating interplay. As I create marks on fabric through the monoprinting process, cut those fabrics and reassemble them, an imaginary abstract cityscape emerges reflecting my vision of this fascinating city.” I liked the colors of this quilt and the way the lines draw your eye from place to place.

Carol J. Moore, from Toronto, Canada, made “Redwood.” Techniques: Cut strips, free motion quilted. “Before moving from San Francisco to Toronto I took a road trip north along the coastal highway, and on a magnificent sun-drenched afternoon I drove through the Redwoods. I have never forgotten the majesty of those trees, the coolness of their dark under-sides, nor the play of golden sunlight streaming through the upper boughs of these giant wonders that grow only in a few groves on the west coast.” I am really partial to string piecing, so I was drawn to this quilt. I liked the play of light she portrayed with the use of the lighter greens—nice quilt.

Margie Davidson’s “Circle of Friendship” was machine pieced, appliquéd, reverse appliquéd and machine quilted. The quilt was the result of a challenge to incorporate fabrics from each member of her quilting bee in an original design. She says, “By incorporating fabrics from each member of my quilting group as well as their hand prints, I have created a physical representation of our circle of friendship. Each month we gather to share our lives and our passion for quilting. Quilting is the thread that brings us together as we grow through the seasons of each year.” Margie is from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
The light emanating from the center of this quilt, along with the tree/hand imagery draws me in to this quilt.

I think I have a few more pictures from this show to share with you. I'll be posting those when I get back home from vacation.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

WOW! As per your suggestion, I dug out the paints, dryer sheets, fabrics, etc and while hubby is away this weekend, I am going to play! Thanks for the encouragement and have a great weekend. Cheers.