Saturday, August 1, 2020

Something to Do While You Work/A Trip

Since the last post, I have listened to two more audiobooks and have made a trip to Arkansas and Tennessee. First, I'll fill you in on the books. My favorite book was This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger. 
This Tender Land: A Novel By Krueger William Kent (p.d.f)
I have heard from people who read his mystery series. (I haven't read any of those but plan to.) These books are definitely not mystery books. This book is about four orphans trying to make it on their own during the Depression. I got so involved with the characters that I didn't want the book to end. Goodreads describes it this way.

"Over the course of one unforgettable summer, these four orphans will journey into the unknown and cross paths with others who are adrift, from struggling farmers and traveling faith healers to displaced families and lost souls of all kinds. With the feel of a modern classic, This Tender Land is an en­thralling, big-hearted epic that shows how the magnificent American landscape connects us all, haunts our dreams, and makes us whole." I can't recommend it enough.

The other book is The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd. 
The Book of Longings
It is a fictional book about the life of Jesus (which I didn't know when I started the book). It took a little bit for me to "get into" the book, but I REALLY liked it. It really made me think about what might have been. Goodreads describes is like this.

"Grounded in meticulous historical research and written with a reverential approach to Jesus’s life that focuses on his humanity, The Book of Longings is an inspiring account of one woman’s bold struggle to realize the passion and potential inside her, while living in a time, place, and culture devised to silence her."

Last week, I visited my son's family in Arkansas. My granddaughter (June Beth--named for me) turned 7, and I wanted to be with them to celebrate. Little did I know that my daughter-in-law would have a cake for me too. (My birthday is August 19.) I SO enjoyed my visit. I cannot go without seeing my family--it is a quality of life issue for me. I guess we all have to decide what is important to us during this pandemic.
I also stopped in to visit my sister in Tennessee on my way home. I hadn't seen her (in person) for WAY too long. We had a nice (but short) visit.

Anyway, I didn't get any sewing or quilting done. I DID get my two latest art quilts professionally photographed while I was gone. (I picked them up on my way home.) Now I have to apply to an exhibit in which I'm interested. That is another thing I don't really like to do. 😒

5 comments:

Paula said...

So glad you got to go to June Beth's party and visit your sister!!!!😆

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Yep, in this new age... we have to make some unusual choices. We hosted family 2 weeks ago, and instituted a more stringent isolation for ourselves. In the event that we were 'unsymptomatic carriers/contagious'... Today marks the end... Yay! Not that we really noticed it out here in the wilds of KY!!! Looks like you enjoyed the mini vaca, too.

dana said...

Glad you got to enjoy June Beth's birthday party and a cake for yours! I'm sure it felt good to touch base with your sister with a short visit also. I still read and am in The Last Trial right now. I'm not one for lots of back history on people so I skip what doesn't pertain to the plot. Hope August begins the turn around on getting life back to normal, but, not holding my breath.

Robbie said...

So glad you got to visit with family...and how special for them to include your birthday along with your grand daughter! We had a BD celebration for my grand daughter's 21st bd this past Sunday. SO, SO good to be with family again!!!! Made me so happy!!!!

Students C.E.C said...

Godd bless