Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Audiobooks and Sewing

While I'm doing some of the things I HAVE to do but don't really LIKE to do (like making and attaching a sleeve to my quilts, squaring up my quilts, and facing my quilts), I listen to audiobooks and podcasts. I have been using my local library apps (Libby and RBDigital) to listen to a book while I work on my fiber art (and while I do some of my chores around the house). I have some wireless AirPods, so I'm not tethered to my phone or iPad while I listen. Today, I want to tell you about three books I REALLY enjoyed. I know I'm always looking for good books to read; I hope you are too.

The last three good books I listened to were Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain, and Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger. I absolutely LOVED these books. I listened to them nonstop until I finished them--the equivalent to "I couldn't put the book down." If you get a chance to read (or listen to) any of these books, do it. Let me know what you think.

Below, I've included a description of each book as written by GoodReads. (I was going to write my own version, but GoodReads just said it SO much better.)

Where the Crawdads Sing--"For years, rumors of the “Marsh Girl” have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life–until the unthinkable happens.
    Perfect for fans of Barbara Kingsolver and Karen Russell, Where the Crawdads Sing is at once an exquisite ode to the natural world, a heartbreaking coming-of-age story, and a surprising tale of possible murder. Owens reminds us that we are forever shaped by the children we once were, and that we are all subject to the beautiful and violent secrets that nature keeps." 

Big Lies in a Small Town--"North Carolina, 2018: Morgan Christopher's life has been derailed. Taking the fall for a crime she did not commit, she finds herself serving a three-year stint in the North Carolina Women's Correctional Center. Her dream of a career in art is put on hold—until a mysterious visitor makes her an offer that will see her released immediately. Her assignment: restore an old post office mural in a sleepy southern town. Morgan knows nothing about art restoration, but desperate to leave prison, she accepts. What she finds under the layers of grime is a painting that tells the story of madness, violence, and a conspiracy of small town secrets.
    North Carolina, 1940: Anna Dale, an artist from New Jersey, wins a national contest to paint a mural for the post office in Edenton, North Carolina. Alone in the world and desperate for work, she accepts. But what she doesn't expect is to find herself immersed in a town where prejudices run deep, where people are hiding secrets behind closed doors, and where the price of being different might just end in murder. 
    What happened to Anna Dale? Are the clues hidden in the decrepit mural? Can Morgan overcome her own demons to discover what exists beneath the layers of lies?"
Ordinary Grace" is a brilliantly moving account of a boy standing at the door of his young manhood, trying to understand a world that seems to be falling apart around him. It is an unforgettable novel about discovering the terrible price of wisdom and the enduring grace of God."
Ordinary Grace

9 comments:

Julie W said...

I haven’t read Big Lies but the other two. I agree that those two were ‘can hardly put down’. I have read most of all Wm Kent Krueger mysteries. A bit gory but I really like the stories! Will have to look up Big Lies. Thanks.

Robin said...

They sound like great books. I think I’ll get started!! Thanks!

Robbie said...

Thanks for new books to add to my list. I too listen to audio books via download from our library! What a wonderful feature! I even listen to my books when I dry my hair! I put in my earbuds and away I go! Works cleaning the house too! Thanks again!

Unknown said...

I loved “Where the Crawfads Sing” and will have to listen to the others. Try The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate and Peace like a River be Leif Enger. I found these to be
just as hard to put down.

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I 'read' by audio too. Multitasking at its best. I have 3 apps I use... Audible, Chirp and Google Play Books. I purchase the books at about the price of paperback... The library is a bit... cumbersome... on time restraints. I have not read any of the ones you have listed... 'Crawdads' is on my radar already, (partly because of the ones that live here too) and I have heard it is a good story! I listen by earbuds and Bluetooth speakers... (one even has LED lighting!!!).

dana said...

I have read on my Nook Where the Crawdads Sing. It caught me off guard and I really liked it. Will have to try the other two you recommended. I used to listen to tapes on CD when riding in the car but it's easy to just download an ebook and I love to read. I know it's time to go to bed when I'm reading and I try to turn an actual page instead of tapping to advance.

Julie W said...

Just finishes Big Lies last night. Great read! I had a bit of trouble at first going back and forth in time but got the hang of it and it did help the story writing it that way. Thanks again for the recommendations!

Lynda said...

I really want to read via audio. I bought some headphones the other day where I can walk around the house so I need to really try this. Thanks for the book suggestions.

Anonymous said...

I read upon your recommendation big lies and ordinary grace. Both are excellent. Thank you.