Sunday, August 9, 2020

Dryer-Sheet Quilt

I have been working on my "dryer-sheet" quilt this week. Used dryer sheets are the foundation for the blocks. The dryer sheets are thin enough that they won't have to be removed once the blocks are finished.

I have completed several blocks and am ready to put the blocks together. I have put the blocks up on my design wall and have to decide how to put them together. Here are a few of the arrangements I'm considering.

This one is VERY busy and would take A LOT of blocks. There is something about it I like, though. I think it is the diamond shapes and the secondary design of the X.
This one is also VERY busy and would take A LOT of blocks, too; but I like it. It could be really interesting if the same color family was used to make the middle zig-zag portion of the block. It would make the zig-zag more prominent and more organized.
This version would use sashing strips and small stripped squares. It gives your eye a place to rest. It would take A LOT of blocks across the rows (horizontally) since the block is SO narrow. I'm not sure I would like lots of blocks across the row and fewer blocks vertically. I'll just have to see.
For this setting, it would take three blocks across for the size I want to make. (I just didn't have room to put that many up on my portable design wall.) I think this one looks a bit more "modern" than the other settings. It also uses the sashing with the added small stripped squares.

What do you think? Which one do you like? What should I name this quilt--High and Dry, Scrappy Diamonds, String Diamonds? I'm sure you all can think up a name much more clever than my ideas. You'll have to check back to see which one I decided to make. I'll put up a picture when the top is finished.


14 comments:

D Cresanto said...

I like the 2nd setting with the zig-zag look... add a big black zig an possibly call it "20/20 fractured" .

Robin said...

I like all the options! But I think my favorite is the first one! You are getting a lot done! Wish I was!

Robbie said...

My choice is #1 or #2...I don't care for the sashing breaking up your blocks! They are so cool! But, choice is yours and you are closer to it and know what you want! Can't wait to see finished!

kathy loomis said...

NO SASHING!!!!!!! These look wonderful, but they have to abut one another to make a statement. Make lots and lots and then make some more. This is going to be beautiful!

kathy loomis said...

second thought: since 1 and 2 are the same layout except turned 90 degrees, you can make the quilt and decide later which way should be up. Or you could put on a double sleeve so it could be changed every now and then.

Paula said...

I like the zig zag one. Good luck choosing a pattern.

Beth said...

I like the last pic with diamonds and I do like high and dry

dana said...

To me, it looks a lot like paper piecing which I could never get the hang of. I like the vertical strip with the sashing. So many variations you can do. Good luck with making lots of blocks.

Mary Z said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Definitely like 1 or 2. They are much more dynamic than those with sashing.

Carolyn H said...

I love the first One. There is just something mezmorizing about its busyness. Very contemporary and non-repetitive.

Elisa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Because I don't see it... and not sure you considered it, what about the chevrons coming together instead of the diamonds... with the sashing bits? (Take row 2 & 3 from the second picture and insert in the 3rd picture setting.) The chevrons would be the unexpected design vs the diamond design.

Susan said...

All of them are interesting. I've not ever tried the dryer sheets, mostly because I don't use a foundation for my string piecing, but I don't think mine are as long and narrow as yours, either. I think I like the second one, vertical strips, the best, though any one of them would be eye catching. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend? LOL Keep Your Strips Close, but Keep Your Diamonds Closer!