Tuesday, August 4, 2020

2020 Stitched Art

I have found that hand stitching brings me a kind of peace I can't find doing anything else. It is like meditation for me. I am currently taking on-line classes through the Textile Artist website. I belong to what they call a "Stitch Club." I pay a monthly fee and get three classes a month led by VERY prestigious fiber artists. This week's class was led by Cas Holmes, whose work I have loved for a LONG time. She showed us how she uses momigami (kneaded paper) in her work. The "assignment" for the week was to do a small landscape using momigami, fabric, and stitch.

I'm not really a "landscape" kind of girl, so I went my own direction. (I know that will surprise those of you who know me. LOL!)  I had been wanting to do a piece to represent how 2020 has affected me and had been thinking about it for a long time. I decided to make my piece using momigami. I started by printing off this pic I had manipulated on my computer.
I used this paper (printed out from my printer) as my paper for momigami. I distressed and worked it with olive oil and used it as the foundation of the piece. I pinned it to a background of recycled linen from a pair of pants I had purchased long ago and, then, pinned the fabric mask to the piece along with some other pieces of fabric.

From there, I added more fabric and stitch to embellish and finish the piece. The glasses, eyes, and ears along with the middle background colors are the exposed paper.
Here are a couple of detail pictures.

I can't say how much I enjoyed working on this piece. 


10 comments:

Sandy said...

Pretty cool Beth!

Sandy said...

Pretty cool Beth!

kathy loomis said...

very nice! I met Cas several years ago in Prague when we were both manning booths at a big quilt show. I have always admired her work although it's not exactly my thing. So glad that you're enjoying her workshop. Pls post what you do next!

Beth said...

I absolutely LOVE this and especially that you went in your own direction

Robin said...

Wow! Love things ‘your way’! What happens to the olive oil over time?

Robbie said...

That is pretty cool!!! Love the piece!! I too find hand stitching so relaxing! Same with knitting...just relaxing...well, as long as I understand the lace pattern, which is what I'm working on now. HA

Quilter Beth said...

The olive oil was only used to keep my hands from drying out. A really small amount is used, so I don’t think there would be much absorption. I asked that question of Cas Holmes (the class teacher) and that’s what she said.

Cas Holmes said...

great postxx

dana said...

This is so you! I love it! You are so talented when it comes to artsy items. I hope you win awards for this piece.

Susan said...

That's a bit of amazing, Beth. Your art quilting is always so innovative, even when you take a class.