Monday, January 23, 2017

Upcoming Fiber Arts Events of Note

There are some fiber-related events coming up that you might be interested in getting on your calendar. Here are a few. At the 2017 Indiana Heritage Quilt Show, (IHQS), March 2-4, at the Monroe Convention Center, 302 College Av. Bloomington, IN:
  • Karen Hampton, from Evansville, IN, will have an exhibit of her art
  • All of the "177 National Park Quilts" exhibit will be featured at the show
  • Several special exhibits will be located in the city including, The Quilts of Southwest China at the Mather’s Museum
These exhibits are at no additional cost with an IHQS admission. The Monroe County History Center, 202 E. 6th St. Bloomington, IN, will exhibit Dialogues – Contemporary Responses to Marie Webster Quilts, February 3 -April 30, 2017. This exhibit will then be on display at the Quilters Hall of Fame, Marion, IN, October 5 through December 2, 2017.

****************************************

2017 AQS QuiltWeek Show Dates

Mar. 1 – 4, 2017 Daytona Beach, FL Mar. 29 – Apr. 1, 2017 Lancaster, PA Apr. 26 – 29, 2017 Spring Paducah, KY Aug. 16 – 19, 2017 Grand Rapids, MI Sep. 13 – 16, 2017 Fall Paducah, KY Oct. 4 – 7, 2017 Des Moines, IA

****************************************

The quilt I made about my Mom and dealing with her Alzheimer's and her death is still traveling with the Sacred Threads 2015 Traveling Exhibit. The next exhibit location is at the Texas Quilt Museum in La Grange, Texas, but all 40 of the quilts in the traveling exhibit could not be shown there. I was informed that my quilt WILL be there on display from January 5 through March 25, 2017. The following information comes from the American Quilters' Society blog. If you'd like to see the entire article, check out their blog.

joy-2

  SACRED THREADS 2015 explores themes of spirituality, joy, inspiration, peace, grief, and healing in a beautiful collection of 20 art quilts. This biennial juried exhibition was established to provide a venue for quilters who see their work as a connection to the sacred and/or as an expression of their spiritual journey. “I hope that the exhibition will resonate with the spirituality of our visitors and provide a healing environment following the recent period of intense societal divisiveness,” Museum Curator Dr. Sandra Sider offers.

***************************************

I have already signed up for a class at the IHQS in Bloomington. It has been awhile since I have taken a class, so I'm excited about it. I DO hate to drag all my supplies to a class, but that is a small price to pay for a good class. 

If you know of any fiber-related events I could include on my blog, please let me know. I would be happy to add it.

2 comments:

Robbie said...

I am passing on to our DIL as they live in Mitchell and she works in Blooomington. She might be interested in attending one of the shows. thanks for the post!

Susan said...

Grr, blogger is being a pain. I wish I could go to all of those shows. I haven't been anywhere in forever!