Saturday, August 27, 2016

In the Show

I have some art pieces that are out and about and thought I'd let you know where you might see them (should you choose to do so). I just got a

two of your pieces (Remembrance and Metamorphosis I) have been juried into the annual LAFTA (Louisville Fiber and Textile Artists) show at the Actors Theatre in Louisville. The show will take place from September 1 - October 31, 2016.

This is "Remembrance"--the piece that did not get chosen for the Marie Webster exhibition in Indianapolis. I still love the piece and knew it would find its place. I'm hoping to get it into other shows as well. I have to get a sleeve on it yet. I haven't done that, because I always dread that part of the finishing.

Thankfully, "Metamorphosis I" has been fairly successful getting into exhibitions. I really think part of that has to do with the fact that it is framed--galleries and museums seem to be more familiar with that format rather than dealing with hanging a "quilt."

"Then We Pray" was juried into the Jasper Community Arts 23rd Annual Juried Art Exhibition at Krempp Gallery, 951 College Avenue, Jasper, Indiana. The exhibition will be held from September 2nd through September 30th, 2016. The reception will be held Thursday, September 8th from 5-7 pm. That is a free event with refreshments and a cash bar. The gallery is open Monday-Friday-8:30 am-5:00 pm, Thursday's- 8:30 am-7:00 pm, and Sunday's-Noon-3:00 pm.

This piece is hand quilted, has a handwritten background, and has lots of extreme embroidery (the caskets in front). I'm always excited when I get juried into ANY exhibit, but I am particularly excited when a piece is juried into a show that isn't totally a fiber arts show. Sometimes quilt artists struggle to have our work recognized as "fine art" and not utilitarian craft. In this exhibit, my fiber piece will be shown with paintings, sculpture, woodwork, photography, and other mixed media.

The piece I did about my Mom and my struggle with her Alzheimer's is still touring with the traveling Sacred Threads exhibit. It will be out until sometime next year. You can take a look at the traveling exhibit flip book here. You will see my quilt and the story of my quilt by flipping six pages into the "book." You can take a "gallery walk" through the full 2015 Sacred Threads exhibit here.

This quilt, along with the others in the traveling exhibit, will be displayed at these locations.

  • November - December 2016--The Rectory, 17 College Street, Norcross GA 30072, Cultural Arts Center 678.421.2025, www.norcrossga.net
  • January-March 2017--Texas Quilt Museum, 140 W. Colorado Street, La Grange TX, 979.968.3104, www.texasquiltmuseum.org
  • April 2017--Best of the Valley Quilt Show, McDermont Field House, 365 N. Sweet Brier Street, Lindsay CA, , 559.625.5430, botvquilts.com

If you get a chance to see this traveling exhibit, (or other fiber art exhibits) let me know.

6 comments:

Quilt Rat said...

Congratulations on having several pieces being exhibited ...it IS exciting! Each one is quite unique....would Love to see them in person

Robbie said...

It is wonderful that folks will get to see your work up close and personal!!! How lucky they are!!!! And Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Amazing pieces, all of them. Congratulations on getting the two in the new show. I love that remembrance got in!

dana said...

I am so proud of you for havi your fabulous work recognized in these various shows. Keep up the good work!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Congratulations Beth.

Valerie said...


Hi Beth ... I don't think iv'e seen "Then We Pray" I love the way you used text to express your grief and introduce some lovely texture.... Congratulations on your continued success.
Valerie.. ***Hi to Nate