Tuesday, January 3, 2012

This Will Be My Project for January

Rayna Gillman is the guest blogger for the month of January on And Then We Set It On Fire. I have been a fan of hers for quite some time, so I'm very excited to be working with her and the other artists on the blog. I'm especially interested anxious to try her free-form quilt techniques, because I have several UFOs, orphan blocks, and other miscellaneous quilt pieces from which to choose a project.

I'd like to do more than one piece this month (and heaven knows I have tons of unfinished pieces from which to choose), but I'm not sure whether time will allow it. I have, however, chosen my first project of the month. It is a piece I made when I worked through Lyric Kinard's "Art + Quilt" book. As I worked through each exercise, I documented my progress on this blog. (If you'd like to check that out, enter "Lyric Kinard" in the Search box.) This was a project I did when I was working on the Value and Hue Exercise from her book. It met the requirements of the exercise, but it was nothing I actually would use. I know I will like it much better after some manipulations using suggestions from Rayna's new book "Create Your Own Free-Form Quilts." I'm excited to see how different it will look.
Come on over to And Then We Set It On Fire and "play" with us (and Rayna) this month.

1 comment:

Quilt or Dye said...

Absolutely great item to play with! Good bones that you can build on.