Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sewing and Stitching

I have just started a free-form quilt using the techniques Rayna Gillman presents in her new book "Create Your Own Free-form Quilts." I'm using a quilt top I made when I worked through Lyric Kinard's "Art + Quilt" book. You can see it on this post. Rayna Gillman is the guest blogger on And Then We Set It On Fire this month. Check out what we are doing there. Here is the beginning of my quilt--it is fun to work with nice bright colors on a dreary, gray winter day. This is on my design wall...
When I can't be in my studio, I am doing some hand stitching. I LOVE Crabapple Hill designs and am currently working on two of them--Over the River and through the Woods and Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage.

I have finished one stitchery panel for "Over the River." There are two more (and lots of pieced blocks to do). I love this particular stitchery because it reminds me of my grandparents' farm. We used to sled down the driveway to the mailbox in the winter. We'd warm ourselves in front of the wood-stove (the only heat for the whole house) and enjoy hot chocolate afterwards. I have lots of wonderful memories from the old farm place.
This is a stitched block from Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage.
I have lots more embroidered blocks to do along with a WHOLE lot of stitched blocks. I love the quilt, but I'm thinking it will be quite some time before I ever get it finished. Meanwhile, I'm REALLY enjoying the quiet stitching time.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I've never heard of Crabapple Hill designs before--do you just do the stitching in one color, like black, or is it like embroidery or crewel work where there are lots of colors involved?

I'm really NOT into the free form blocks this month, you are doing a great job with yours, though!

Quilter Beth said...

Laura, free-form blocks are not for everybody, but I'm really having fun with them. I also love to work with the bright colors when the winter days are SO gray.

As for Crabapple Hill...some of the stitchery patterns are one color, and some are very colorful. I just transferred a Crabapple Hill Halloween design last night (#317 Vintage Trick or Treat). It has several colors. I saw a sample of this done up; it was FABULOUS.