The first two photos are of the last two pieces I did. I had added more flour to the mixture to make it thicker. I like the looks of these better.
You can see some of the marks I made in the flour resist before it dried. I have checkerboards (top/bottom) and swirls, letters, and lines. I also crunched this one up just a little before adding the paint, so the cracks would be more evident.
For this next piece of cloth, I thought I'd see what it would do if I didn't crunch it up at all. I wanted my marks to show more. As a matter of fact, I wrote a Washington Irving poem on this one. It was the poem that was read at my mother's funeral in June. (I'm still working through that.)
I really like the way it blurs some of the words yet leaves some of them readable. It is almost like a "secret" message. Can you read it?
The next two pieces were done first. I really crunched them up (too much probably), because I thought I wanted a lot of crackling. I think between the crunching up of the fabric and the thinness of the resist that too much paint came through to the fabric. I do think I can use them; they aren't total losses.
Lighting is an amazing thing. These two pieces are the same color. When I took the pictures, I couldn't get the flash to go off on one of them. (I don't remember which one.) That is why the color looks so different.
I really had fun with this and definitely will be doing more of it. I'm going to try other colors or maybe a combination of colors the next time. I can't believe what a mess I made when I did it, but that was part of the fun.