Sunday, August 22, 2010

Interesting Finds and Birthday Gifts

Okay, I know you could just use a bowl or a recycled butter tub, but this is SO much cuter! This is a thread catcher. It comes from "The Stitching Room" blog. She has great pictures showing how to make this cutie. Check it out at http://thestitchingroom.blogspot.com/2007/10/thread-holder-pattern.html
It also makes a nice crown for your puppy (if you have one). ;-)
I thought this little flower pin was adorable. As an added bonus, it could be used as a take-along project. Take a look at this site for the pattern.



Aprons have always reminded me of my grandma. Those are really happy memories, so here is an apron tutorial/pattern for you. You'll find it at Michelle Engel Bencsko's blog, Cicada Daydream... http://cicadadaydream.blogspot.com/2008/10/apron-tutorial-featuring-dogwood.html
I don't know about you, but I just love pincushions. I like this one in particular because--not only is it adorable--but this blogger has found a way to recycle some "trash" (cardboard tubes) into something useful.
This pincushion tutorial/pattern comes from "CraftBlog." CraftBlog.com.au is "the Aussie hub of all that’s going on in the crafting world, no matter what your indulgence, you’re sure to find something about it here."
You will find lots of other very cool items you can make on this site.

Last, I'd like to share with you a couple of gifts I received from my kids for my birthday last week. They gave me books I had listed on my Amazon.com wish list. (What a wonderful invention!)
First is a book about the artist Daphne Odjig. I found out from the book that she is a Native artist from Wikwemikong (an unceded Indian reserve in Canada, which means that it has not "relinquished title to its land to the government by treaty or otherwise"). I absolutely fell in love with her work when I saw a film about her at the New Mexico Museum of Art in Santa Fe. Sadly, I had just missed the exhibit. I like everything about her work especially the colors she uses. The organic nature of the lines really draws me in. I'm hoping to gather inspiration from this book for some of my work.
Second is "Ideas and Inspirations--Abstract Quilts in Solids" by Gwen Marston. I had the opportunity to take a couple of Gwen's classes (long ago) and just love her approach to quilting. This is (as the title implies) a wonderful book with many examples of her more abstract works in solids. It is not a pattern book; it will be used solely for "ideas and inspirations".

2 comments:

Robin Walston said...

Cool books. They did good!

sophia said...

Nice Birthday gifts....Great