Sunday, March 11, 2018

Retreat!

I had written an earlier blog post about having trouble doing any “creative” work after my Dad died on February 23. I had an art retreat scheduled (before any of the stuff happened with my Dad) for March 5-8. I decided to go, and it was one of the best decisions I have made in a long time. I immersed myself in my work and got my creative mojo back!

This art retreat consisted of several artists working in varied  mediums—felt making, poetry writing, book making, organization, sewing/piecing, hand stitching, sketching, planning, eco-dyeing, collage, etc. Being surrounded by people who CREATE really fed my soul. The first thing I did was finish the machine appliqué on the quilt I made out of Dad’s pajamas. (See the blog post about that here.)




I finished six 3” blocks for my 365 Quilt and two 6” blocks for it.

I finished the stitching on an “extreme embroidery” pin.

I started an improvisationally pieced quilt top. I got several good-sized units pieced and several smaller units ready to join. This type of creative project was just what I needed. I thoroughly enjoyed the process; the colorful pieces make me smile.

I arrived home to several very nice sympathy cards from friend (all of them much appreciated) a walking foot for my new machine, and a new hair care product I want to try. My husband unloaded all the retreat stuff from my car. Life is good.


5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Good for you. The retreat projects always fascinate me. So diverse and beautiful.

Vickie Wheatley said...

Hi, Beth. I’m so sorry to hear about your Dad.
Also sorry I missed the retreat. It looks like some fantastic art happened there! I hope to see you at the next one.

Robbie said...

So glad you decided to go to the retreat! I'm sure 'dad' would want you to keep on with being creative! And it sure looks like you did a fine job of it!!!

Robin said...

Glad to see you made some time for yourself and your craft. It’s important to find a way through your sadness and grief in a positive way. I am sure I’d mad your Dad proud!!

dana said...

Good for you! Sounds like you accomplished ALOT!