Thursday, June 27, 2013

Daily Art

At my last LAFTA (Louisville Area Fiber and Textile Artists) meeting, the speaker was Kathy Loomis. Her program focused on her daily art project for this year--collage. Kathy has made daily art for over a decade. She says, "I like the discipline and structure of these projects; they keep me focused on my art, and give me a playground in which to experiment and have fun." If you'd like to read more about her daily art (and see lots of pictures, check out her blog, Kathy's Daily Art. To read an interview with Kathy about her daily art projects see Make Something 365 & Get Unstuck.

I really didn't know what to expect from the collage program. I usually don't do well when I have to "perform" in a group setting. However, I REALLY enjoyed this program. Kathy showed us several examples of her daily collage work. She makes her daily collages on old library cards (from the old catalog card files) with pictures, words, and letters cut from magazines, newspapers, etc. Sometimes she doodles on the collage. She did give us some rough guidelines to get us started.

Kathy handed out a few 4" X 6" index cards to each of us. We brought magazines, newspapers, glue sticks, and scissors. I found a degree of freedom working with materials that don't cost a lot on a "no-pressure" project. Doing these little collages really got my creative juices flowing. They are definitely not masterpieces, but they made me smile--some even made me laugh out loud. I hope they do the same for you.

This is my favorite one. If you don't recognize the face, it is George Clooney!

I think this next one if funny because no one can look at the Mrs. Potato Head Princess.

.

I always feel sorry for the dogs whose owners dress them up. I feel like cats are laughing at them. I was thinking of that when I made this little collage.

For this one, I was thinking of the current climate on gun control. The red heart outlined in white was actually a picture of a heart-shaped bowl of tomato soup.

I have NO idea what I was thinking on this one. My favorite part of it is the background.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: