My first thought was to organize them. I ended up with stacks of red, purple, pink, yellow/gold, black, white/off-white, blue, orange, and green. I also had lots of scraps that didn’t fit into any of those categories; these I placed into a large (106 quart) plastic Sterilite container. When I finished separating all the pieces, I took a look around; there wasn't a single place to sit in my living room. Every possible seat was covered with "tubs-o-fabric!" It seems the scraps multiplied! How is it possible that scraps that originally fit into this...
(You can kind of tell what size it is in relation to my footstool.)
now take all these containers to hold?
(This covers my entire couch.)
(This takes up my big chair...and did I mention this is a 106 quart container!)
Anyway, I started sewing these scraps into "fabric" I think I might be able to use in some "art" quilts. I believe some people call this process making/using “crumbs.” I have really enjoyed sewing these, because they don’t take a lot of concentration. It is just very peaceful work for me (which I find I still need since Mom died). I put most of what I have done on my design wall (just to see how much progress I had made) and here is what that looks like. (I also have black pieces done, but I didn’t have room to put those up.)
I like the looks of these pieces. Many of them have to be made much larger before they will be usable; but I’m enjoying the process,…and hey, that is what it is all about for me right now!