Sunday, July 18, 2010

I Can't Believe What I Found

This has been the "Year of the Robin" for me. In the early spring, I had robins nests outside my bedroom window, in my Japanese maple right outside my front door, and at the corner of my garage. All had eggs, and all had at least one baby survive. I thought robins nested and had babies only in the spring. Nope...some build nests and have babies in the middle of the summer! Look what I found outside my spare bedroom window last weekend--a weekend with weather in the upper 90s.
I was quite excited to find this "gift." There are actually four baby robins in this nest. How lucky am I to get to see this process again so soon!

Nate and I had to go to Tampa last Sunday for him to have some surgery done on his neck. (It was very successful, and all is well.) Look what I found when I got back...
The babies had grown up! One was gone already, one was on the other side of the windowsill, and these two were lingering by the nest.
I love the little tufts of feathers on each side of the baby's head.
I had to cut my picture taking short; the mother robin was frantically trying to get food to these guys. I sure feel blessed to get to see these little guys. I hope you enjoy them too.

Now...back to getting something quilty ready to work on at Dirty Monday tomorrow...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How lucky can you get! Very cool!You have a great camera, by the way.

Laura said...

I had a baby robin about the size of these hop into my garage one day, and I put my gloves on and picked it up before my cat got it. It was cheeping and shrieking so loudly that the parents and other relatives were all dive-bombing me as I carried it out and put it in the bushes where I had seen it's nest earlier. Robins (and all birds) are a lot of fun when you take the time to watch them!

Quilt or Dye said...

You don't just love nature? I look at all the work that man has done and none of it seems to revel nature.