Monday, September 7, 2009

LAFTA Hosparus Project Finished--not Mounted

I've been mentioning the LAFTA piece I committed to do for the Louisville Hosparus-Counseling Center. Well, I finished the quilting and decided I would try to mount it to the 10" X 10" canvas today. I looked and looked for my staple gun and couldn't find it. I guess I'll have to borrow one. Anyway, I have the piece wrapped around the canvas and taped on the back, so it isn't as tightly mounted as I hope it will be.

The piece could be any type of art medium. I decided to stay with what I know and do a quilted piece (rather than try something new for this). The symbol of the Hosparus is an oak leaf. This represents the seasons of life. I didn't include an oak leaf, but my design is based on the grain of a piece of oak wood.


Oak was specifically chosen because of its symbolism. The oak is a common symbol of strength and endurance. In Celtic mythology, it is the tree of doors, believed to be a gateway between worlds. Oak is an emblem of virtue, strength, resiliency, longevity, and re-birth. It represents inner fire, courage and nobility of spirit.

The colors were also chosen for their specific meanings.
Blue is the collective color of the spirit invoking rest causing the body to produce chemicals that are calming. Soft, soothing, compassionate and caring, blue is an introspective color. It is the color of the Throat Chakra and encourages spiritual communication.

How the color blue affects us physically and mentally
Ø calm and sedate to counteract chaos or agitation
Ø to open the flow of communication
Ø solitude and peace

Green is seen as tranquil and refreshing and is considered the color of peace. In several religions, green is the color associated with resurrection and regeneration. Green is the color of balance, learning, growth and harmony. It symbolizes the master healer and the life force. Green also has a calming effect and symbolizes hope, peace, gentleness and modesty. It is soothing, refined and civilized with great healing power. It suggests stability and endurance. It is the color of the Heart Chakra which bridges the gap between the physical and spiritual worlds. Opening the Heart Chakra allows a person to love more, empathize, and feel compassion.

How the color green affects us physically and mentally
Ø Soothing
Ø Relaxing mentally as well as physically
Ø Helps alleviate depression, nervousness and anxiety
Ø Offers a sense of renewal, self-control and harmony

I included a closeup of the quilting below. This piece is machine appliquéd and hand quilted.

No comments: