She said she had been thinking of it and thought a mitered ombre border might be interesting. I thought so too, so I went to her house (where she had some ombre fabric), and we auditioned it on the quilt. We both agreed it was a winner, so I got online to find a fabric I thought would work. FINALLY, the fabric arrived, and Lora and I set up a date that we could get together and add the borders to the quilt. (She offered her expertise to teach me to make the weird angled mitered corners I needed for the quilt.) I just got back home from that work date.
Here are the borders on the quilt. (They will be trimmed and evened up at a later date.)
What neither of us took into account is how BIG the quilt would be with the borders added. Before any trimming (which will be done AFTER the quilting), the widest part of the quilt measures a whopping 128 inches! (It is SO big that I can’t even come close to photographing the whole quilt. The left and right sides are folded over in this picture and the bottom is resting on the floor. I think you can get the idea, though.) I’m not thrilled about cutting off ALL the black of the ombre fabric (which might happen if we cut it down to 120 inches which is king size). Luckily, I don’t have to worry about that yet. My next “job” is to hand appliqué the hexagon quilt to the borders. (Right now, it is just basted to the borders.) I’ll keep you apprised of the progress I make on this.
Oh and for those of you following my progress on using my Quilter’s Planner...so far, so good. I have written lots of things down, checked a lot of things off, and have followed through on using it (and doing a daily Instagram planner challenge) for the last month. I pretty proud of myself!