Monday, September 4, 2017

Sacred Threads Traveling Exhibition

I was thrilled when I was asked if my quilt, Black Beauties, could travel with the Sacred Threads Traveling Exhibition. Of course, I said, “YES!” I won’t get it back until sometime in 2019, but I think the story of the quilt is important for people to hear. (If you would like to know more about Sacred Threads,  go to the website here.)

I just received word from Sarah Entsminger (the “travel exhibit” contact from Sacred Threads), that the quilts are all in Michigan and have just been hung for their debut exhibit. She added that “the contact at the venue is thrilled with the exhibit, and that their community is very pleased to host the exhibit.” The quilts are currently hanging at the First Presbyterian Church in Flint, Michigan, and will be up through the community-wide Flint Festival of Quilts. It was really fun for me to see what the venue looks like and how the quilts look hanging there. Thanks, Sarah, for sending these photos from the venue. Check them out.
That’s my quilt on the left. If you would like to hear me tell the story of the quilt (in less than 2 minutes), dial the number 1-703-520-6404 and enter 621# when prompted. 
In mid-October the quilts will travel to the Heart Gallery at St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Toledo, Ohio, to be part of the region wide celebration of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. This celebration is expected to bring many visitors to this region of Ohio.

From November 1st through the middle of December, the exhibit will be at Grace Episcopal Church in Gainesville, GA. This timeframe includes the 111th Annual Council of the Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta being held in Gainesville.  Locations for you to see this exhibit will be updated on the website as new venues are added to the schedule.

These are the locations that have been scheduled thus far.

Flint Festival of Quilts, Flint MI - September 2017
HeART Gallery, St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Toledo, OH - October 18-30, 2017
Grace Episcopal Church, Gainesville GA - November 1 - December 15, 2017
Voice of the Spirit Gallery, West Raleigh Presbyterian Church, Raleigh, NC -January - February, 2018
Southeastern Quilt & Textile Museum, Carrollton GA - March-June, 2018
Good Shepard Episcopal Church, Hayesville NC - July, 2018
The Rectory Cultural Arts Center, Norcross, GA - August, 2018
Virginia Quilt Museum, Harrisonburg VA - September-December, 2018
Best of the Valley Quilt Show, Lindsay, CA - April, 2019
A World of Quilts , Danbury, CT - May 2019

If you know of a venue that might be interested, you can find the contact information on the Sacred Threads website (link in the first paragraph). It truly is an inspirational show.    

3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I love your quilt. The exhibition is wonderful. I love the numbers you can call.

Robbie said...

We might attend the festival and I'll be sure to top by the church to see the exhibit!!! It's not until October 12-14th! Will put on my calendar!!! congrats!

Anonymous said...

I really like yours, but you know that already. The way this was photographed, it looks like a fabulous show, and I see quite a few quilts I'd like to see up close.