Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Australia Wide Five at Paducah

I went to the first fall AQS show in Paducah, KY, just recently. I was anxious to see how this new show would go. I was pleasantly surprised. The show wasn't as big, the crowds weren't as large, and (frankly) it wasn't quite as overwhelming as the spring show. I must say that I really enjoyed it. 

Because the crowds were smaller, it was easier to shop and easier to see and photograph the quilts. I met SEVERAL people who were attending a quilt show in Paducah for the first time (which is what I took as a good sign), and I took a class for the first time in a long time. All in all, I would consider this a good show. I would definitely attend again.

One of the exhibits I really enjoyed was the Australia Wide Five. This exhibit is a juried, touring exhibition showcasing the artwork of members of Ozquilt Network Inc., Australia's organization for art quilters. There was a collection of 39 works reflecting contemporary art quilt practices from across Australia. Each quilt was 16" X 16". Here are a few of them. If you get a chance to see the exhibit, be sure you do it. The quilts are, of course, much cooler in person.

You can click on the pictures to see the description and maker of each quilt. These two quilts (on the right) were made by the same person. Details of each are on the left.
The following four quilts were really interesting. I liked the hand stitching on each of these.
I liked the colors of these quilts. From the more colorful to the tranquil, these quilts didn't disappoint.
Numerous techniques and materials were used in these small quilts--traditional screen printing, discharge screen printing, monoprinting, digital printing, fusing, piecing, appliqué, natural dyeing, hand embroidery, machine stitching, hand stitching, and photo transfer.

 
This last sample had A LOT of threadwork on it. The detail pic at the right is of the quilt on the bottom left.
I was really impressed with this exhibit and think you will be too. I hope you get a chance to view it in person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those! They are amazing. I can only imagine seeing them up close. I don't think there are any AQS shows close to me any longer, other than Paducah. They usually only stay 2-3 years in one location, only 1 if they don't make enough money to be happy. Charlotte got one, Knoxville and Chattanooga got two, and Chattanooga went out of their way to be welcoming and have quilt events all over the city when they were there.

Robbie said...

Thanks for the 'quilt show review'...love not having to leave the couch! HA