Thursday, February 16, 2017

Using Half-Square Triangles

I have wanted to make a half-square triangle quilt for quite some time. I finally am working on one using a layer cake and 10" background squares I cut from a gray I had on hand. I did some research (and played a bit on my own) to find several different layouts I really liked. If you would like to make a half-square triangle quilt, this post (and the previous post) is for you. In the previous post, I explained how to make eight quick half-square triangles from 10" squares (layer cake). The first thing you will need to do after making the half-squares is to square the blocks to your chosen size. This is how you do that. (I squared mine up to 4 1/2"; yours may need to be squared to 4 1/4" or 4" depending on whether you took a scant or generous 1/4" seam allowance.)
I made my half-square triangles using the method in my previous post. Next, I played with them on my design wall. As you will be able to see, the half-square triangles are not sewn together yet. (I can't decide which layout I like the best! You will have to leave me comments and let me know which layout you like. It might help me decide which one to make.) First I tried these...
Layout A and B
Next, came these...
 
Layout C and D
And these...
Layout E and F
And these...
Layout G and H
And these...
Layout I and J
 
After moving all those half-square triangle around on my design wall, I was getting pretty tired (but was still inspired). I still wanted to try some other layouts. This time, I did some block layouts. Think about how these would look either side by side or sashed. I liked these too.
Blocks 1, 2, 3
Blocks 4, 5, 6
Then, I thought why couldn't I make a table runner, so I tried one. I liked it too!
Which layout do you like best?
 
I hope I have given you some ideas about the WIDE variety of ways you can put your half-square triangles together. Use one of these designs or play with your half-square triangles to come up with a design all your own.

5 comments:

Robbie said...

Like this last pic of table runner! nice layout! Whew! That was a lot of work to put together this post! You are my hero!

dana said...

I bet your arms are tired just from changing patterns so many times. I really like A. That's what I would make for me. Very pretty fabric. Another winner which ever one you decide on.

Mel - Cloth and Paper Studio said...

That's a LOT of rearranging! I vote for C. :)

Patoka Valley said...

Beth, I like your block # 4 on the bottom. Gives me alot of ideas.

Susan said...

Of course, all of them are wonderful! But that's no help. LOL I always like B. It's traditional and you can't beat classic. The chevrons have the same recommendation. It's also fun to sew them in groups of 9 as if you were doing the traditional B setting, but then turn each one 90 degrees around a square and have another great traditional design. Block 6 could make a great overall setting that would look so interesting, I think. And think about your table runner like a row quilt, with rows going down - a column quilt? There is a name for traditional quilts like that, but it's escaped for now. =) I think it would be great, though! It'll be so interesting to see what you choose.

Drat, I just noticed my son is signed in on google on my laptop. When you see Paul in my last comment, think Susan. LOL