I have really been working hard on my hexagon quilt and wanted to show you an updated photo. Because this is a SLOW project, there isn't much progress to show from day to day. I work on this piece all the time--this quilt goes with me everywhere. It has gone with me on every trip/vacation for the past two years. I think I have enough done, now, that you (and I) can see a bit of progress. The top picture is my progress to date; the bottom picture was posted on November 22, 2014.
I know it is hard to tell from the picture, but the width of the quilt is 70+ inches. It will be a large piece when I finish it. (Notice I said WHEN and not IF!)
I am no longer adding the hexies to the piece in entire rows. (I WAS piecing an entire row of hexies together and then adding that long row to the big piece.) I have found it is easier for me to add around eight to ten hexies at a time. I have found there is less chance of making an error. I'm following the pattern I drew up almost like you would a cross stitch pattern. I also am no longer using silk thread. I LOVE how the silk thread was almost invisible, but I kept unintentionally unthreading my needle because the silk thread is so slippery. I am now using a 50-weight So Fine thread and/or a 60-weight Bottom Line thread (both made by Superior) in neutral colors. I like both of these--they, too, are almost invisible, and I have no trouble keeping my needle threaded. I'll continue to pass along what I'm learning as I'm making this piece. If there is any progress to show, I'm going to try to post every week.
Just for fun, I got an app that can be used to keep track of how much time I spend working on this piece. It allows me to clock in and clock out, and it calculates the accumulated time for me. I have been faithful about keeping accurate records for this piece since February 5th; and since that date, I have spent 58.54 hours on it!