Thursday, November 13, 2014

Portable Design Wall

My friend owns a retreat center; and at a recent retreat, one of the participants had a portable design wall. My friend loved it and made several for her retreat center. She showed me the finished product, and I decided I had to make one. This would be a great thing to take along to a retreat, because it becomes very portable when folded.

These are the supplies you'll need:

  1. A pattern cutting board (also called a "Kraft Board")--The one I bought measures 39 3/4" X 71 3/4" (folded--12" X 39 3/4") and is made by Dritz. (I used a 60% off coupon at Joann's, so the price was really reasonable.)
  2. Two telescoping curtain rods--Don't use cheap curtain rods; these are used to stabilize the board. The rods will need to expand to at least 72".
  3. Packing tape
  4. "Bulldog" clips (10 or 12)
  5. Flannel--I bought 2 1/3 yards to be sure I'd have enough to cover the board.

The next step is to tape the flannel to the board. (I used packing tape, but I imagine there are several other kinds of tape that would work.) I originally thought I would put the flannel against the side of the board that has the markings, thinking I could see the markings through the flannel and use them as a guide. Then I decided to use the plain side, so I could fold the flannel to the inside when transporting. I figured it would stay cleaner that way.

Next, I clipped the curtain rods to the sides of the board. I found that the easiest way for me to do that was to lay the board down and put the curtain rods on top. I propped the board against the wall, so I could get better pictures. As you can see, the rod is clipped against the back of the board

Fill in clips all the way down each side.

Here is the finished design wall. As you can see, I used 10 clips, and it is very stable.

I just thought this was such a good idea. After seeing the one my friend had made and figuring out the best way for me to do it, one of my friends told me she found it on Pinterest. I should have known!!! You can check out (what I think to be) the original source for this project here--http://nickelquilts.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/design-wall/

I'll be making a simple carrying bag for this and taking it to my next retreat. So...do you think this is as cool as I do?

2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Why yes it is great. Even a part time quilter could use a nice board like this.

Anonymous said...

It's a great idea!