Wednesday, September 3, 2014

There is Nothing as Sweet as a Little Retreat

Some of my friends and I got together for a little retreat time away from home. I got to spend three days sewing--a reprieve from the handwork I'm doing on my latest "extreme embroidery" piece. I didn't work on any "art" type work; I simply pieced. I decided to bring my Featherweight machine to use rather than one of my bigger machines I always use. I had forgotten what a pleasure it is to use a simple machine. I just love the sound of that little Featherweight. Anyway, I finished my Country Threads block of the month for last month, I made more than 40 blocks for my kids' quilts (kids' charity quilts and quilts for the grandchildren), and I finished a nice size throw. Here are some of my kids' quilt blocks.

I LOVE the bright colors and cheerful feel of these blocks. They are SO much fun to make; it is hard to stop making them once you get on a roll. I haven't decided how I will put them together yet. Maybe I'll save that for another retreat.

I did get a few pictures of some of the things the other retreat attendees worked on. Donna is a "get her done" kind of gal. I've heard her describe her sewing/quilting style as "down and dirty." She makes quilts that will be used and loved (and she always wants to make them fast). She made five kids/charity quilts using the "Disappearing Nine Patch" method. (I'm showing you two of those, but that isn't nearly all she got done!) Cutting her pieces from fat quarters, she used a 17" square ruler to cut BIG squares and made a huge nine-patch block. She then cut up the block, sewed it back together, and voila...

quick and easy quilt tops.

Robin worked on (and finished the top for) this quilt top while she was there.

I love the quirky trails in this quilt.

Everyone else at the retreat got lots done too. I "fell asleep at the wheel" and didn't get pictures of anything else. I'll try to do better next time. I just LOVE going on quilting retreats. Spending time with people you really like doing something you love to do is just the best!

I have one more thing to share. I have a fiber piece in the 21st Annual Juried Art Exhibition at the Jasper Arts Center (in Jasper, IN). The exhibition runs from September 3-28, 2014, at Krempp Gallery (951 College Avenue in Jasper). You can read more about the show at www.jasperarts.org. The exhibition is open Mon and Fri from 8:30 am-5 pm, Thursdays from 8:30 am-7 pm, and Sundays from noon-3 pm. The opening reception is from 5-8 pm on September 4, 2014, if you'd like to come by. I'd love to see some of my friends there (and there are refreshments and a cash bar). If you can't come to the reception, come on by another time and check it out.

 

No comments: