Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Text on Textiles--Jane LaFazio

I just got back from my first Create workshop in Chicago (well, they call it that, but it really is located in Lisle, Illinois). The only class I took was Jane LaFazio's Text on Textiles class. I enjoyed it very much as text on textiles is right up my alley. I'd like to steer you to Jane's blog and website. Check out what she says about the class I took on her website here. Jane's take on Chicago Create is here.

Here are some of the pictures I took during my class. This first one is a picture of Jane showing us how she adds some color to the small fiber collages we were working on. You can see her class samples on the table.

This next picture is a sampling of some of the student work from the class. (Mine is the bottom right.) I don't think anyone got finished, but we did make a lot of progress toward a finished project. I know my piece has a lot of embellishment to be done yet, which would make it a good take-along project. I'm always looking for some needlework I can do while I travel.

I have some ideas about how I might use some of the techniques in my own work. My class project will be a good way for me to remember the techniques I learned in the class. For me, a successful workshop is one where I learn something I can actually use in the work I do. How about you? What does it take for you to feel like you got your money's worth from a class or workshop?

 

No comments: