Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"And Then We Set It On Fire"

I'm SO excited...January is the beginning of my art quilt/surface design adventure! This is sort of like a New Year's Resolution...but one that I'm really anxious to do...not like my usual "I'm going to lose weight" resolution! I got in on an opportunity to work with eight quilt artists to try a new surface design technique each month for nine months. Each month the chosen technique, web/video/print resources, and each artist's endeavors (successes/failures and, hopefully, some finished products) in the chosen technique will be entered as posts to the blog. YOU are invited to join us in learning and experimenting with something new (or something you'd like to try again). There is a place on the blog (http://andthenwesetitonfire.blogspot.com/ or click on the "And Then We Set It On Fire" icon to the right) for you to become a "Follower" if you so choose. Let us know how you are doing by leaving comments and links to your posts about the technique. Even if you choose not to actually try the technique with us, check in on our progress anyway.

This month we are focusing on shibori. I have never done ANY dyeing, so I'm very excited to try it. I am anxiously awaiting the dyeing supplies I ordered from ProChem around Christmas. As soon as I get them, I'll be experimenting. For now, I'm collecting dishpans, buckets, rubber gloves, dust masks, plastic bags, measuring spoons, etc. While I'm waiting for the dye supplies, I may try some shibori with paint and/or shibori using discharge...we'll see how that pans out! Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Laura said...

I can't wait to see your dyeing results, I know you'll become as addicted as I am now!!

Karoda said...

Hi Beth, if you ever need a space to dye (if you get hooked on it). I sublet my studio at Mellwood by the day...very reasonable rates...email if you're interested.