Thursday, February 23, 2023

Myriad Interpretations of Language Project

Awhile ago, Sam Hunter put out a call for some blocks for a quilt she wanted to make. I thought it was doable for me at that time, so I decided to make a block. This is the idea she shared with us—“I invite you to stitch a block, following some very simple instructions. The project is to interpret the instructions the way YOU think fit; there is no right or wrong. Once I put the collective collaboration together into one piece of art, my hope is that it will illustrate the concept: that there are a myriad of ways to interpret the same language.” She told us that she planned to assemble the blocks into a quilt and submit it to various quilt and fiber art shows, starting with QuiltCon 2023. 

We were instructed to cut a solid-colored cotton fabric measuring 6 inches square. (She didn’t tell us what color the block needed to be. She let us decide.) We were told to embroider a line on the fabric using a contrasting thread. Then, we were to choose another color of thread and embroider a second line that crosses the first. We were left to interpret the instructions however we wanted.

Sam shared with us that the quilt WAS juried into QuiltCon into the Group Quilts category. We saw the first image of the finished quilt this week. This is the first block (upper left corner of the quilt).


The picture below is a picture of the whole quilt. The instructions said nothing about the color of the fabrics to use, and look at how she stitched them into a glorious color wash. I love how it turned out. (My block is on the bottom row to the left of the butterfly block.)

This is a closeup of the block I made.

What a fun experience! (If you are attending QuiltCon and you see the quilt, let me know what you think.)


5 comments:

Laura said...

I love it when people who are working on the same project together but can’t see each other’s work demonstrate this kind of synergy. What a beautiful project.

Lee (Marilee) Wimmert said...

Interesting concept and to see such a variety of interpretations!

Anonymous said...

I love your block!

Beth said...

What an amazing and INTERESTING quilt that is

Anonymous said...

Fun and interesting. An exciting project to be a part of!