Monday, June 19, 2017

Form, Not Function 2017

Form, Not Function: Quilt Art at the Carnegie is a MUST SEE exhibit held at the Carnegie Center for Art and History in New Albany, Indiana. That is what I said in a blog post about last year's show. I'm doubling down on that statement this year because I have a quilt in the show!!! My piece, Scorched Earth, was chosen. Here are some pics--in progress and finished. (The finished photo--the last of the four--has terrible lighting. I apologize. The right side looks really dark; it isn't. The piece was hanging on my design wall, and I took a quick pic. Come on out to the show to see it in person.) 
I can't even tell you how excited (and humbled) I am to be in this exhibit. This year's show will be held July 21-September 16, 2017.

"Form, Not Function: Quilt Art at the Carnegie" explores the world of contemporary art quilts. This annual, juried exhibit draws works of art by artists across the United States and celebrates innovation and creative thought in the increasingly popular medium of art quilts." Again, that was the description of the show from the Carnegie's website last year (I shared this with you on this blog last year.) I have been informed that this year, 284 quilts were submitted for consideration and work from 26 artists was juried in. 

The Carnegie has now updated their website with information about this upcoming exhibit. There is a list of artists included along with dates for specific activities concerning the exhibit. If you'd like more information about this exhibit and to see the list of included artists, click here. Please make an effort to see this exhibit and let me know what you think.

I have to tell you a funny. When I got an email that "said" my piece was chosen for the show, I couldn't believe it. I sent an email to the curator of the museum just to make sure. He reassured me by saying, "Yes, it was accepted, Beth. "Scorched Earth" was unanimously voted in by all three jurors." I whooped out loud!!! I did another big whoop today when I saw the list of accepted artists. I have been following the work of many of these artists for several years. To be included with them is quite an honor for me. A couple of days ago I took my piece down to the Carnegie. I took the acceptance letter with me "just in case"--like I might have to prove my work actually belonged in the show. LOL! Thankfully, I didn't have to show it to anyone. My name was right there--listed as an artist for the exhibit. (I wish you could see my BIG smile.)

A great time to see the exhibit would be to come to the opening reception on Friday, July 21, from 6-8 Eastern time. Music will be provided by the Jamey Aebersold Jazz Quartet and there are usually light refreshments. I don't know how many of the artists will be there, but it is a chance to meet and talk to some of them. I'm planning on attending.

There are other activites put on by the Carnegie during the run of the exhibit. One of those occurs on August 15, from 12:00-1:00 (Eastern time) there is a Lunch and Learn with "Sunshine" Joe Mallard. I have met Joe and can't recommend this Lunch & Learn enough. The postcard describes the event this way--"Come meet this local treasure and learn about his life and work as a quilter, fiber artist, and teacher." You must register for this event, but I believe it is free. You can register by calling 812-944-7336. I've also been in contact with SAQA IN (Studio Art Quilt Associates of Indiana). They will be having a meeting at the Carnegie followed by a tour of the exhibit. I'll be there for that meeting (tentatively scheduled for 1:00 pm (Eastern time) on August 29). Anyone interested in finding out about SAQA (or just to see what it is all about) is welcome. There is also a "Mix & Mingle" on the last day of the exhibit, September 16 from 1-3.

I sure hope to see you at one of these events!!!

7 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Congratulations Beth. I am smiling too. This quilt is outstanding. I can see why they liked it. Good luck with your show.

Robin said...

Congratulations Beth!! So exciting!! I finally figured out how to post here!!

Ronda K. said...

What an honor for an amazing art quilt, Beth! Congratulations!!!

Robbie said...

Congrats, Beth!! Your work is always so awesome and this is so well deserved! How thrilling to be included with some of your 'idols'...but interesting because you are and will be an 'idol' to others yourself!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I wish I could come! I'm so excited for you. Congratulations! You deserve it with that wonderful quilt, and with all the hard work and preparation you've put in to reach this point in your art. I'm so excited for you. When you next are near Knoxville, will you let me touch the hem of your robes? =)

Moira said...

Congratulations Beth! You definitely deserve the honor because your quilt is wonderful. Makes me almost wish I still lived in Indiana so I could go see the exhibit.

Farm Quilter said...

Congratulations, Beth! Desertskyquilts put a link in her blog to come over and check out your quilt -WOWSER!!! I would certainly love to see this in person, but Nevada is far from Indiana.