Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Nineteen Stars: Quilts of Indiana's Present and Past (3)

This is my third installment about a quilt exhibit at the Evansville Museum of Arts, History & Science in Evansville, IN. The exhibit opened on October 24 and runs through January 10, 2016. NINETEEN STARS: QUILTS OF INDIANA’S PRESENT AND PAST, begins the museum’s celebration of Indiana’s upcoming Bicentennial. The theme is drawn from the 19 stars depicted in the state flag that commemorate Indiana’s position as the 19th state to join the Union. I recently had the opportunity to view this wonderful exhibit. If you live close enough to check it out, please do so. If you would like more information about the exhibit or museum, click here.

In my previous posts, I've shown you lone star quilts and variations, feathered stars, and Penny Sisto's quilt about Frances Slocum. In my last installment on the show, I'm going to show you a variety of quilts in the exhibit.

I have to mention the fact that, as a hand quilter myself, I LOVE to see good hand quilting. This show did not disappoint. Here is only one of many examples of REALLY, REALLY good hand quilting.

REALLY good machine quilting was also represented.

There were modern/art quilts (the full quilt--Bohemian Fireworks by Sandra Peterson, 2009--is in the upper left; the other three pics are close up shots),

Bohemian II: Ferris Wheels and Kites, Sandra Peterson, 2013 (below)

and there were traditional quilts (full quilt upper left; remaining pics are close up shots).

(Quilt above--Back Porch Stars, top designed and pieced by Kaye England; quilted by Cathy Franks, 2014)

The traditional quilt above (Stars Across Indiana by Deb Geyer, 2014-2015) is unusual because of the quilting in the solid areas of the pattern. Deb says she included some of her favorite images from across Indiana in the quilting of the blocks. She has included things like the Purdue Student Union, country scenes, the Indy 500, the Children's Museum and more.

The Indiana Amish quiltmakers were represented, too. This quilt (Variable Star) was made by Katie C. Troyer Miller in 1915.

I haven't shown you nearly all the quilts in the exhibit. Please check it out in person if you get the chance. It is well worth the trip.

 

3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am definitely going to get down there. The quilts you have shown are so intriguing.

Robbie said...

They really are awesome in the pics...can only imagine how wonderful they are in person!

Anonymous said...

I WISH I could go see the quilts! They are absolutely gorgeous in your photos and I know even more beautiful in person. I really love the Deb Geyer quilt, but every single one is amazing.