Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Doing a Bit of Dyeing

I recently finished some dyeing, because this month's technique over on And Then We Set It On Fire is deconstructed screen printing. I had never done that before, so I was anxious to give it a shot. I think, for a first try, some of the pieces turned out really nice. Check out the tutorial and the results from the other resident artists on that site.

This is my favorite.
Screen 3
 This is a close up.
These are the other screens I printed. 
Screen 2
This is a close up of the print.
 Screen 1
 This is a close up.
I love the texture that is created from the deconstructed screens. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with this fabric yet. I think I'll just "pet" it for awhile.

While I was at it, I decided to work on a clean-up cloth I had used when I first tried dyeing quite awhile back. I hadn't soda ash soaked the cloth before I used it for cleaning up the drips from the dyes, so I knew the color wouldn't be permanent. However, I liked the colors that the cloth was taking on, so I decided to make some other marks on it. When I did the deconstructed screen printing, I used clear print paste with soda ash added to break down the screens. I thought I'd try scraping that paste over the clean-up cloth (with a credit card) to see if it would bond the dye to the fabric. It did. This is what the cloth looks like after washing, drying, and ironing.

1 comment:

Deb Erwi said...

The first one is my fav too. I LOVE the last pic of your "clean-up cloth"!