Sunday, February 27, 2011

Comfort For Kids--Charity Project and Some Miscellaneous

Our guild (Patoka Valley Quilt Guild) has a service project which supplies quilts for kids in traumatic situations. The local police and the county domestic violence outreach program are supplied with quilts to hand out to traumatized children they encounter. We needed 80+ quilts for this year. I worked on some of these quilts while I was snowed in last month. I got two quilts totally finished and two tops completed. I'll be taking them to the next guild meeting.

If you have an abundant stash (like me and lots of my friends), making a charity quilt is a great thing to do. The first two pictures are the finished quilts.
For this sweet little quilt, I used a jellyroll (made up of 1 1/2" strips) and added a little white fabric. It is backed with flannel to make it extra snuggley. 
I love the kid-friendly printed fabric--bugs, snails, bright colors--in this quilt. I hope it will bring a smile to someone's face. 
These two tops are made totally of flannel and minkie (minky???) fabric. They are VERY soft. 
Think about using your talent to help someone less fortunate than you are.

I have also been spending some time preparing a few projects for machine quilting. This is a traditional little (approximately 16" X 20") Lori Smith quilt I have pin basted.
Even though most of my time these days is spent working on more contemporary quilts, I still love traditional patchwork and applique. What can I say...I like it all!

1 comment:

debserwin@gmail.com said...

Beth, your charity quilts look so cute!! And I like the little one, too!!