Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Working on "Fractured" (1)

I've been busy working on my "Fractured" quilt--making block after block. As Kathy suggested when she commented on this blog post, "Make lots and lots and then make some more." Well, I have done that. In the last week or so, I have made approximately 75 blocks. I haven't yet decided what size I'm going to make the piece, but I wanted to have a variety of blocks from which to choose. I MAY end up using all of them (and maybe more) in this quilt--or not. I'm sure I'll find a use for any leftover blocks I might have. I'm leaning towards tall and skinny (but not TOO skinny). Right now, I'm playing with the pieces on my design wall. This particular wall isn't wide enough for me to put up all the horizontal or vertical blocks, but this gives me a good idea of what it will look like. The blank spots in this picture are blocks I'm currently working on.

My upstairs studio is jam packed with bright scrappy strips of fabric. I'm really drawn to the chaotic combination of colors. Maybe because I feel the chaos in my own life with this pandemic and all. 

I have also finished a couple of little wool projects--a little scissors keeper and a needle case.


This is the outside of the folded case.
This is the inside of the case with it open.
I think I'll make good use of both of these. I have a wool pin cushion yet to make. Hopefully, it won't take me too long to get to that.

I had a nice porch visit with a friend of mine from Louisville. Part of the time, when Nate was in the hospital, I stayed with her and her husband. Since her visit was close to my birthday, she  brought me a journal she made. Isn't it beautiful? I think I'll use it to keep notes and ideas from my Textile Artists Stitch Club workshops.

I will update you, again, when "Fractured" is further along. Now, back to work!


8 comments:

Robbie said...

wow...you're keeping busy for sure! You certainly have made 'lots and lots of the blocks for Fractured quilt! But it will give you lots of choices.

Lee said...

All of your treasures that you have made are so cute!

Debbie Erwin said...

Love all that you're working on!
The journal is really pretty and so thoughtful of her.

Beth said...

Great birthday prezzie and I love how the quilt is coming along. VERY fractured!!

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Lots of fun scraps in your "Fractured" blocks. Darling scissor holder and needlecase.
Thanks for sharing!

dana said...

Fractured is a ton of work! Coming along nicely tho. I love the wool pin and needle case. Almost makes me one to try to make one.

Susan said...

What a lovely gift from a friend. I remember all those trips you made. The scissors holder and needle book are so nice - love the inside! The black stripe that's lightning down the quilt is a nice focal point, and I like that it's off-center.