Monday, August 24, 2020

Some Much Needed Sister Time

My birthday was last week, and my sister made the trip to my house from Tennessee. We have both been very careful with COVID protocols and both are in agreement that being with family is essential for our mental health. She made my favorite foods--her chicken salad and a big German Chocolate cake. We ate on those all week. They were both DELICIOUS!

We took a little drive to our hometown (Orleans, IN) to visit some of the places we knew as children. It is funny; the town sure seemed much bigger back then. We placed flowers at the cemetery and drove by the home in which we grew up. We made a few trips up and down the familiar streets to see how things had changed since we lived there. We really enjoyed reminiscing about the "good ole days."

After we had covered Orleans, we drove to Spring Mill State Park in Mitchell, IN. We didn't want to stop to eat anywhere in public, so we brought a picnic lunch. We had such a good time.

It was a BEAUTIFUL day--hard to believe the temperature was so mild for mid-August. 

Later in the week, we made some new masks. I just LOVE them (well, as much as you can "love" a mask). My friend, Debby Cresanto, sent the fabric to me. She said when she saw it, she had to send it to me (because she knows I love bright colors and all things flamingo). I tweeked a pattern to provide a bit more room around the nose, so I don't feel quite so restricted. I used some flat nose "wires" I had ordered along with some "soft elastic" which feels really good on my ears. (Debby sent the soft elastic too.) I made a pineapple and flamingo mask for each of us.

We had a really nice week. I have found a little "family time" can certainly give me a nice pick-me-up. I need that every now and then. 

6 comments:

Pam said...

We had such a good time. Miss you already.

dana said...

This is the first time I've seen your sister! Just a few similarities but I'd never guess you were sisters. It does sound like a good time and the masks are beautiful. A friend asked me to make masks with ties for her husband and the other nurses on his unit. It was before I got my Juki and they were terrible! I hated my 2 yr old machine and thank goodness the Juki dealer took it on trade-in. I haven't made any masks since as I don't know if it was the machine or I just can't make a decent mask.
Glad you two had some delicious food to sustain you for the week too!

Beth said...

How wonderful and happy birthday

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Happy Birthday! We had family visit in July... and after they left we self-isolated for 2 weeks, with stricter personal protocols in public. Your new masks are lovely... I have been visiting with friends in the same manner. A picnic at the park!!! Although it is usually takeout since I am in town for shopping...

Robbie said...

Wish I could visit with my sister...she's in Florida, which is way too far and not so safe to travel to right now! Glad you had this wonderful time...and the food sounds amazing!! Yes, I have priorities! HA

Susan said...

I'm so happy you got to do this! My sister and I did that once upon a time, and it's such a nice memory. Those masks are great, if you have to wear a mask. My nose always feels smashed, and the glasses fog up. So I tend to stay home, no matter what!